Privacy Rewrite GSoC Project

Sulabh Mahajan sulabh.dev at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 01:32:10 EDT 2009

The print screen of the interface that I mentioned in the last post:
http://i31.tinypic.com/214owso.jpg

What are the limitations :

- ends up being huge
- can't control the four settings (allow all, block messages not from buddy
list, .., custom) per account
- can't control "invisible to all" provided by most protocols (do we need to
control this feature from the privacy dialog, the control is also available
via status dialog.
- doesn't look as good as I would want it to be

A simpler interface that solves above mentioned issues would be:
( Why do I end up coming with a simpler interface only after coding a
complex one :P )

[   ] Allow all users

[   ] Block only messages from all users not on my buddy list
[   ] Block all users not on my buddy list

[ *** ] Per Account Settings
Set Privacy for:  | abcd at gmail | **
Privacy State:    | Block all users not on buddy list | ***

V Presence Settings:
|    Account    | Invisible to all | Invisible to users not on blist |
+------------------+---------------------+------------------------------------------+
| abcd at gmail |                      |                     X
  |
| xyz at yahoo  |          X          |                     X
|
| pqrs at msn   |                      |                     X

+------------------+---------------------+------------------------------------------+

**  List of all enabled accounts, choose from drop down
*** List of the following options, choose from drop down:
Allow all users
Block only messages from all users not on my buddy list
Block all users not on my buddy list
Custom****

**** On choosing custom, separate window opens up, which enables privacy
settings per contact:

Per contact settings:
|    Buddy name    | Block | Block Chat  | Invisible | Block FT | Block
conference | Block Friend Request |... |
+------------------------+---------+------------------+-------------+--------------+--------------------------+--------------------------------+---+

| All Others*         |    X    |        X         |      X      |
X      |             X            |                X               |    |
| Sulabh Mahajan  |          |        X         |      X
|                |             X
| Richard Stallman |         |                    |      X     |        X

* All others is meta contact, lists privacy settings for contacts not on the
list.

Please provide your comments. Anyone has a better idea?

I will go ahead with this structure, if no one provides a better idea.

Thanks,

-- Sulabh