Plagiarism from msn-pecan

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Sat Aug 1 14:02:30 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-08-01 at 12:40 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It looks like you guys took msn-pecan idea to close a switchboard
> after one minute[1] into Pidgin[2] in order to solve the infamous
> switchboard timeout error. That's good, however, you didn't gave any
> credit; that's plagiarism.

I tried to comment on your blog, but for whatever reason it didn't go
through (I tried posting again and it detected double post, so it
probably got to the moderation queue), maybe you only want people to
hear your side of the story anyway?

Anyhow, this was the comment I was trying to post last night:

========
Hi felipe,

It's actually not true that I copied your fix, in fact I explained this
in #pidgin (right after you left though, I was working and didn't pay
attention):

(18:31:37) felipec left the room
(18:32:21) khc: actually, I knew what was required to fix that timeout
bug before that, but that discussion prompted me to actually do it

The day I fixed it I also mentioned in #pidgin:

(09:43:09) khc: ya, I was going to do that too
(09:43:14) khc: I wasn't aware that pecan does that
(09:44:12) khc: (and sometimes the swboard can close < 1 minute too
depends on the network)

So ya, I didn't mention that the fix came from you, because it's simply
not true.

I asked in #3330 for a valgrind log because the guy who commented right
before said it crashed for him. I've also observed this happened before
1 minute of idle time (the other end was using the offical client too),
while other times a longer idle time didn't cause any problem. Another
thing I planned but don't have time to do yet is change the retry to use
offline message instead of over the switchboard.

Plagiarism is a serious accusation, and extra ordinary claims require
extra ordinary evidence. I hope you will think twice before making
similar claims in the future.
========

Now that I see other comments, I don't remember exactly when I came up
with the idea, but it was definitely a couple weeks before that
conversation. As Stu pointed out, the idea isn't novel or anything, so I
don't know why you are so surprised that others can come up with the
same. Maybe I should have credited you even though it's not true?

Anyhow, I am not sure if I have convinced you that I came up with the
idea independently, but if I didn't, I am not sure what else I say
would, so I will try to make this my last email on the subject.

-khc