Ideas for minor changes

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Mon Aug 3 18:33:52 EDT 2009

Hey, everyone,

I just wanted to run a couple ideas past everyone and get some opinions.
  Here we go:

Idea #1 - Make it easier to tell who are developers in #pidgin

Gary and myself have both said on multiple occasions that it would make
sense to have some sort of mechanism by which a new entrant to #pidgin
could easily identify who is affiliated with us (and thus whose answers
can be trusted as authoritative).  I know it runs contrary to Freenode's
recommendations, but I think it would make sense if we could come up
with a way to auto-voice all CPWs and auto-op all developers.  (This was
trivial on the old services mechanism, but I have no idea how to achieve
this on the current services platform.)  We can then clearly state on
the website/wiki that operators are developers and voices are senior
contributors.

Idea #2 - Make it easier to tell who are developers on trac

The other idea I had is to find out if it's possible to either modify
the trac template or make a plugin that would somehow label developers
and CPW's on their comments.  For example, if I comment on a ticket,
show "rekkanoryo (Developer)," or if Masca comments on a ticket, show
"salinasv (Crazy Patch Writer)" or "(Senior Contributor)" or similar.
This would obviously need to be keyed off the "developer" and "cpw"
groups in trac, and might even make a good argument for making a "ticket
triager" group in the future if we ever have a dedicated ticket team.

Thoughts/opinions?

John