Ideas for minor changes

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Mon Aug 3 20:31:55 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 23:33, John Bailey<rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org> wrote:

> Idea #1 - Make it easier to tell who are developers in #pidgin
>
> Gary and myself have both said on multiple occasions that it would make
> sense to have some sort of mechanism by which a new entrant to #pidgin could
> easily identify who is affiliated with us (and thus whose answers can be
> trusted as authoritative).  I know it runs contrary to Freenode's
> recommendations, but I think it would make sense if we could come up with a
> way to auto-voice all CPWs and auto-op all developers.  (This was trivial on
> the old services mechanism, but I have no idea how to achieve this on the
> current services platform.)  We can then clearly state on the website/wiki
> that operators are developers and voices are senior contributors.

I'm not really in favour of this, I really do like the Freenode
guidelines about this.

As much as we like to complain about #pidgin it does seem to work most
of the time, and there are several "mere" users who are as helpful
(and knowledgeable) as developers/CPWs (not to mention that not all
developers know everything (except elb)).

Anyone who goes as far as to find the website/wiki to determine that
operators are developers and voices are contributors could equally
well find a website/wiki page that simply listed those developers' and
contributors' IRC nicks (or even find /cs access list #pidgin).

I'd probably stop identifying to NickServ if this was implemented.

> Idea #2 - Make it easier to tell who are developers on trac
>
> The other idea I had is to find out if it's possible to either modify the
> trac template or make a plugin that would somehow label developers and CPW's
> on their comments.  For example, if I comment on a ticket, show "rekkanoryo
> (Developer)," or if Masca comments on a ticket, show "salinasv (Crazy Patch
> Writer)" or "(Senior Contributor)" or similar. This would obviously need to
> be keyed off the "developer" and "cpw" groups in trac, and might even make a
> good argument for making a "ticket triager" group in the future if we ever
> have a dedicated ticket team.

This might actually be useful. Taking it a step further I'd like to
see something along the lines of what gnome have managed in their
bugzilla with bug reporters/developers/etc getting a "points" score.
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/page.cgi?id=points.html but I realise this
is probably asking a bit much :)

I wonder why I have different opinions on these two ideas. Am I weird?

Regards,

Stu.