Privacy Rewrite GSoC Project

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 03:28:40 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Mark Doliner<mark at kingant.net> wrote:
>> Please provide your comments. Anyone has a better idea?
>>
>> I will go ahead with this structure, if no one provides a better idea.
>
> Hmm, I do think I prefer this simpler interface over the one in your
> screenshot.  I'm not sure "Custom" is the right approach for blocking
> specific people.  I think blocking specific people is an often used
> privacy feature, and I don't think it should be hidden one level
> deeper.  I wonder if maybe the per contact setting would fit in the
> main privacy dialog.
>
> Also, I'm not sure it's necessary to differentiate between blocking
> presence, IMs, chat, FT, etc.  I think if someone blocks a person then
> 95% of the time they don't want to get any communication from that
> person.  Would removing this differentiation make the UI simpler?  If
> so, my vote would be to remove the differentiation and just have a
> single option to "block everything from this person."

Not to mention that the differentiation would be a no-op in MSN as
I've already explained.

But I'll have to be clear on this: this new design is not solving
anything and only introducing new problems. What is supposed to happen
when you select "Allow all users" in MSN? There's no such privacy
setting.

--
Felipe Contreras