Yahoo Buddy List

Sulabh Mahajan sulabh.dev at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 00:17:16 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Kevin Hughes <theshirt23 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know the 'signed-on' signal is emitted once one buddy list message has
> been processed from Yahoo, but the buddy list can be spread across multiple
> messages, if it is large (right?), and I hoped that at the end of these,
> Yahoo was kind enough to let us know it was through.
>
> To be clear, this is a question about the Yahoo protocol, since I know that
> libpurple does not look for or specify any such signal from Yahoo.

Yes, Buddy list can be spread across multiple messages. But, I am not sure
if being large is the only criterion.

I quickly checked if we receive an indication from the server that buddy
list is through. I can't give you a definite answer to your query, but you
can test this observation:

We receive the following packet from the server, immediately after the buddy
list:
(Contents vary)

Service: 0xef
Contents:
302:312
300:312
313:x
314:y
301:312
303:312

I have a feeling that this packet is related to buddy list, because of its
service number and content structure.

You can test this, and let us know. If I am correct about this, we can
update to emit "signed-on" after receiving this packet.

Or you can use *first* "new mail" or "ping" packets. They are sent after the
buddy list.

-- Sulabh