pidgin PPA: why no VV?

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Aug 24 01:47:37 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-23 at 12:15 -0400, a user wrote:
> I noticed that you compiled the new version of Pidgin for the Ubuntu
> PPA.   I happily installed it via update-manager to discover that VV
> wasn't compiled for my system (Ubuntu 8.04).  I went to the download
> page at pidgin.im to find a one line statement that VV was only
> compiled in for 9.04 and above.   I am uninformed about all of this,
> but is there any way that Pidgin 2.6.1 could be compiled for 8.04 and
> support VV?  i.e. What dependencies are missing?  I really don't want
> to upgrade my desktop OSes from LTS, but would really like to use VV?

A number of packages need to be backported. Look at the ones for Jaunty
here: https://launchpad.net/~pidgin-developers/+archive/ppa

I'm hesitant to backport those changes to a distro I can't test. I'm
also leaving the country tomorrow for 3.5 weeks. When I get back,
perhaps I can try the backporting if I have some volunteers lined up
with different distros.

Richard