Gadu-Gadu protocol update and patch

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue Aug 25 14:42:02 EDT 2009

tsalacinski at gmail.com spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I've been working for some time on Gadu-Gadu protocol (used mostly by
> Polish user) implementation in Pidgin.

This is great to see.

> This implementation lacks few features, and few are implemented badly
> (eg. image receiving and sending - that doesn't work).
>
> I've upgraded libgadu library in Pidgin to use the newest 1.8.2
> version (which fixes many security issues - users using Gadu-Gadu in
> Pidgin are exposed to those issues). I've changed the way Pidgin
> handles images, so right now it does work properly. Tested on 3
> computers, i386 and x86_64 with original Gadu-Gadu clients (7.0 and
> 8.0). So far everything works properly. The one huge patch is located
> here:
>
> http://www.alarm-clock.pl/gg_images.patch

A couple of comments/questions:

1) This patch seems to include the libgadu update, your changes to the
   existing gadu-gadu Pidgin prpl, and at least one file which was
   inadvertently included (gg-old.c).  Could you remove the
   inadvertent inclusion(s) and split it up into two patches, the
   changes to our prpl and the gadu-gadu update?

2) For some time now, we've supported compiling against the system
   libgadu (./configure --with-gadu-{libs,includes}).  We should
   probably update our shipped libgadu, of course, but do you know if
   this works?

> I am the author of previous version of the patch, but it was modified
> by someone else and stopped working. The wrong patch was applied to
> Pidgin main tree - the only difference is that Pidgin can receive
> images, but can't format them properly. Sending doesn't work at all.

I'm sorry to hear that the wrong patch was included.  This is
unfortunately hard for us to check on protocols that none of us use.

> Where should I post this to be included in the main tree? Or, if
> someone can review it?

I'd be happy to do what I can to review the patch once it's split up.

Since this is apparently not the first time you have worked on this,
would you be willing to take over some maintainership of our Gadu-Gadu
protocol going forward?  It currently has no maintainer, which is what
leads to going out of date like it has.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.