Hacking with GTalk's voice bytes

Payton Byrd bigpurplebird at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 18:17:50 EST 2009

Hi Everyone,

I'm playing around with the pidgin source code (changes not for distributing
- just for my own learning). I'd like to be able to process the *raw* voice
buffers from GTalk; basically encode the voice before it's sent and decode
it before it is output to the user.

I'm new to the code, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this
were possible, and if so, where to look. I've been grepping (for voice,
send, talk, etc.) and putting printfs in the code in hopes of finding it,
but have been unsuccessful so far. I've been looking under libpurple,
libpurple/protocols/jabber.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year all!

-- P

P.S. I know the standard way to add features is via plugins. I'm not looking
to develop and distribute anything, just playing around for my own learning.
However if it is easier to do what I intend to do via plugins, please advise
me. Many thanks!