Making Pidgin small-screen-friendly

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Sat Feb 21 15:52:02 EST 2009

Etan Reisner wrote:
>> 14. Drop dialog separator, possibly shrink dialog spacing a bit (looks
>> like it's ending up with a 20 pixel border, but I think you are rightly
>> intending it to be 12, per HIG).
>
> Yeah, the separator should probably go.

No "probably" about it, let's lose that ASAP.

> The largest gain for this dialog could probably be found by making the
> 'Send a message' action work the way the per-account message stuff works
> in the Status dialog, that is have the message shown inline and have it
> pop up a dialog for editing. I'm not sure I like the idea but it would be
> the most effective single change.

I have no objections to this, but I would suggest not showing more than a few
words' worth of text (~25 characters perhaps?).

> As a side note, I've been thinking about moving the per-account Proxy
> settings into their own tab (so we would have Basic, Proxy, and Advanced
> tabs) which would help with the dialog height a little bit for the more
> "complicated" protocols.

I was actually going to suggest this, as it seems proxy options aren't a
particularly good fit on either existing tab.

> One further thing we could consider regarding the New Buddy Pounce dialog
> is that we know that quite a lot of people get to the dialog by right
> clicking an entry in the buddy list and selecting Add Buddy Pounce so
> perhaps we might want to consider (in that case) not giving people the
> account dropdown and buddy entry area but rather just making the 'Pounce
> on Whom' text include that account/buddy information in line.
>
>     -Etan

I have no problem with this, but I suspect we're going to see some complaints
about this because if the user wants only Buddy B in Contact A to be pounced on,
the user has to either use the submenu for the appropriate buddy in the contact
or expand the contact.  Granted, we have complaints already because pounces
aren't contact-aware.

John