Collecting feature requests

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Sat Jan 3 14:02:25 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 01:47:26PM -0500, Marc Seiler wrote:
> Hello guys I have never posted on here but I've been watching for a long
> time and was wondering where is "trac"? I don't think it's labeled trac on
> the website because I can't find it.
>
> Thank you,
> Marc Seiler

The "development" button on the website is the primary way to reach it,
but you could also find yourself there having followed the "User Guide"
or "FAQ" links under the "Help" section.  There are also a couple other
links on the website that would bring you to our Trac install.

Basically trac is an integrated wiki and ticketing system that we use
both for content that users should be able to contribute to (like the
FAQ), and for handling bug reports, feature requests, and so on.

That's part of why Kevin, John and I have objected to the brainstorm
install: it is another, very separate place, for feedback, guaranteeing
duplication of information.

Back when we were entirely hosted on SourceForge, we had both the SF
trackers enabled, and the SF forums.  Users regularly found one or the
other, but rarely both.  Beyond that though, it is MUCH harder on the
developers to try to keep up with, and respond to, a multiplicity of
feedback venues and still find time to actually … develop.  Which is
what, at the end of the day, all of us want developers to be doing more
of ;-).

Right now we have this and other mailing lists, and Trac for more
perment things (such as feature requests or bug reports).  I think
expecting developers to monitor another system is too much, ESPECIALLY
when we can get most of the functionality in the existing system.

Beyond that though, as I have said in other emails, I have a
*particular* dislike of drupal based systems, having seen them crash and
burn rapidly and messily when load gets high.  One thing my time on this
project has taught me is that we *must* plan for that eventuality.  No
matter how slow things might seem at any given point, this project will
become busy again, and will eventually get /.ed again.

Luke