Fwd: Collecting feature requests

Marc Seiler mseiler at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 20:57:25 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury <imadil at gmail.com>wrote:

> * Kevin Stange had this to say on [03 Jan 2009, 19:22:49 -0600]:
> [snip discussions I don't really have much to contribute to]
> >
> > We don't let patch writers commit their patches to our source code to
> > our monotone server without discussion and review.  Again, most of our
> > developers don't even undertake major changes without running it by as
> > many people as possible for consensus.  I would really appreciate
> > discussing things like this BEFORE implementation so we can have these
> > discussions amongst both users and developers like we're doing now after
> > the fact.
> >

> Yes, please!
>
> Sadrul

This was something I was wondering about myself. I've been watching changes
be made to the site the past few weeks and seeing posts on here about it
afterwards wondering if I missed the discussion about it. I assumed it was
another list I wasn't part of. I really think the website should be dealt
with in almost the same fashion pidgin itself is handled. Every change
should be discussed, tested, tested, implemented, tested some more and
discussed some more.

More on topic I think that a more friendly interface for trac should be
implemented. Maybe a plug-in or something also that makes suggestions of
"like" tickets that they can choose to comment on or create a new one. I am
researching trac now having never used it and I will probably have more
useful suggestions here soon when I have time to fully look through trac and
its capibilities but I am very much for keeping everything in one place and
not duplicating data. The biggest problems lots of my clients have are with
trying to keep track of forms and wikis and ticketing systems when they're
not all merged into one database where everyone sees the same data just in a
format they are familiar with.

The voting system in trac I think is more then sufficient in letting people
in the simplest form state their feelings on a certain idea, I do think the
voting should also be restricted to feature requests only because thats
where its most valuable in terms of what the user likes. I don't see it
really being useful on a patch or bug because just simply clicking the up
arrow on a bug doesnt tell the developers anything at all in terms of what
that certain persons problem was and doesnt give any debugging info.