Monotone: Best practice for setting up an 'im.pidgin.adium' branch?

Evan Schoenberg evands at pidgin.im
Tue Jan 6 10:03:19 EST 2009

I'd like to create a monotone branch - at least, I think branch is the
right word - to track the specific version of libpurple being used
within Adium and to allow us to easily commit Adium-specific changes
or additions without losing the ability to propagate.

I've set up monotone on adiumx.com and have an up-to-date database of
im.pidgin.*.  My thought of what to do next was to:
1. Use mtn serve on adiumx.com to establish a network server
2. Create im.pidgin.adium as a branch off im.pidgin.pidgin at 2.5.2
3. push this branch to adiumx.com's monotone server.

In the future, I would:
1. Pull from mtn.pidgin.im and then propagate from
im.pidgin.pidgin at version_x's_tag to im.pidgin.adium
2. Sync to adiumx.com's monotone server.

And in the meantime and future, commits can be made to im.pidgin.adium
which will be maintained and merged as appropriate.  Changes committed
to im.pidgin.adium can also, of course, be selectively cherry picked
into im.pidgin.pidgin as appropriate, though I expect that any work
which is initially intended to go into libpurple or pidgin would just
be done there in the first place.

Is this the right pattern? Is there anything I could do to make it
better for Pidgin or Adium?  Is there anything about it which would be
undesirable?

Thanks,
Evan