Monotone: Best practice for setting up an 'im.pidgin.adium' branch?

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Jan 6 11:59:24 EST 2009

Evan Schoenberg wrote:
<snip>
> I've set up monotone on adiumx.com and have an up-to-date database of
> im.pidgin.*.  My thought of what to do next was to:
> 1. Use *mtn serve* on adiumx.com to establish a network server
> 2. Create im.pidgin.adium as a branch off im.pidgin.pidgin at 2.5.2
> <mailto:im.pidgin.pidgin at 2.5.2>
> 3. push this branch to adiumx.com's monotone server.

This would work, but I'd recommend using usher instead; usher will spawn an mtn
serve process as needed, which should result in the database on adiumx.com only
being locked when it's necessary.  Usher should also be easier to script to
start when your server comes up from a reboot.

<snip>
> Is this the right pattern? Is there anything I could do to make it
> better for Pidgin or Adium?  Is there anything about it which would
> be undesirable?

The rest of the proposal seems sound to me, but I personally would have no
objections to just housing `im.pidgin.adium` on our mtn server.  I already run a
mirror of im.pidgin.* on guifications.org, which provides us a level of fault
tolerance which you would gain for free (effort-wise) as a result of this.

John