Surveys, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the silent majority

Phil Hannent phil at hannent.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 10:28:23 EST 2009

Luke Schierer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:11:15AM +0000, Phil Hannent wrote:
>> I would be more interested in a survey that asked users of other IM clients what
>> makes them choose their current client, that way you might learn something that
>> is missing.
>
> That would make sense if we were a company looking to increase market
> share.  It would also make sense if we, like some involved with open
> source, thought that global dominance is a necessary goal for a project.
>
> We take a very different view though.  Some of those unhappy with Pidgin
> like finch, others choose Adium.  Still others really like Meebo
> (spelling?).  Others like other clients that aren't libpurple based.
>
> THIS IS GOOD.  Software diversity is a good thing, because it is not
> possible to write a client that will excite everyone.  The same holds
> true in other areas, I really dislike using the GNOME and KDE
> environments, but because global domination has not been achieved, I can
> use fvwm.
Indeed and I whole heartedly agree with you.

Just to clarify I would only be interested in a cross client survey as an
exercise in curiosity.  For example, I did not know that the MSN client had
handwriting recognition built in (until the results of the survey opened my
eyes) and I am not 100% sure why it would be needed, surely the operating system
should be providing it to all applications via the WM?

Regards
Phil Hannent