Surveys, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the silent majority

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 10 04:58:48 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:05:44AM -0500, Luke Schierer wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 10:11:15AM +0000, Phil Hannent wrote:
> > Casey Ho wrote:
> > > Demographics
> > > -------------------------
> > > - At least 1/3 of Pidgin users have Pidgin installed on both Linux and Windows.
> > > - The top reasons why people use Pidgin: It's free (89%), it supports
> > > all accounts (73%), and it has no ads (70%)
> > > - The top protocols: MSN (67%), Google Talk (51%), ICQ (44%)
> > This was a surprise to me, ICQ while being one of the oldest chat protocols
> > seemed to me to be one that was on its way out.
>
> I'm surprised it is still used at all, given how little attention AOL
> gives to its servers.

I logged into ICQ after 7 years of not having used it, and there were
about 10 contacts, people who I knew from University, who were still
using it as one of many protcols.  People I hadn't chatted to in ages.
It may be old and crap, but it never lost its contact lists or broke
stuff (of course, now I've found them all through Facebook anyway, but
that's besides the point)

There's value to users in old shit that keeps on working.

Bron.