writing and reading from files

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 21 16:29:51 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 03:04:53PM -0500, Etan Reisner wrote:
> So you are intending to block incoming messages with your handler for the
> receiving_im_msg signal, write it to a file, have some other program read
> the file and do something with the message, and then somehow (how
> exactly?) have that program feed the message back into pidgin so pidgin
> can display it?
>
> That sounds like it is incredibly likely to introduce somewhat substantial
> delays into the display of incoming messages and likely to break thereby
> removing all ability to see incoming messages to me.
>
> Did I miss something?

Yeah, modern desktop computers are hella-fast (especially if you put
/tmp on tmpfs or something) and fork is pretty cheap too.

Compared to the delays introduced by the network (ok, so my djabberd is
in New York, and I'm in Australia), this is nothing.  Invoking a simple
program to change the contents of a file is well under the human
noticability threshold these days - and if your system is so heavily
loaded that it's likely to a problem then all bets are already off -
pidgin itself could be swapped out for an indeterminate time.

Bron ( so let's try being positive about people's ideas )