writing and reading from files

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Wed Jan 21 15:04:53 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:42:26AM -0800, arun kumar wrote:
> thanks for replying.......
>
> i am writing the plugin in c. (but ready to change to perl if things
> are easier on that)..the text is a message sent by any user to a
> particular user.  this text, before being displayed to this user (
> hence using revceiving_im_msg signal ), is processed  by a function
> which is totally outside the plugin....  that is why i thought to
> write the text to a temporary file which the function can read and
> when it write backs to the file , the plugin can read it from the
> file...........
>
> cheers,
> arun

So you are intending to block incoming messages with your handler for the
receiving_im_msg signal, write it to a file, have some other program read
the file and do something with the message, and then somehow (how
exactly?) have that program feed the message back into pidgin so pidgin
can display it?

That sounds like it is incredibly likely to introduce somewhat substantial
delays into the display of incoming messages and likely to break thereby
removing all ability to see incoming messages to me.

Did I miss something?

    -Etan