The location of privacy

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon Jan 26 11:54:10 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:21:40AM +0000, Phil Hannent wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have had a couple of emails asking about privacy settings on support@ which
> got me thinking.  Surely it should be on the conversation window, in conjunction
> with the buddy list?
>
> When one receives a SPIM message you realise that you want to block it and
> perhaps setup a global preference.  If you have the buddy list hidden your are
> not given a visual clue as to where to change this setting.

Blocking a user from the conversation window is possible via the
Conversation menu. What sort of 'global preference' are you talking about
here?

> To me it would seem logical to place under the Options menu an action to Privacy.

I think we very much need to avoid duplicating too much of the Buddy List
menu structure in the conversation windows, and I'm not exactly sure what
the privacy dialog is needed for from the conversation window. Can you
explain what you think we need it there for?

> Thoughts?  Flames?

    -Etan