Merging next.minor into trunk

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon Jan 26 13:48:09 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 02:46:02AM -0800, Mark Doliner wrote:
> How do people feel about merging the im.pidgin.pidgin.next.minor
> branch into im.pidgin.pidgin and making our next release 2.6.0?  I've
> spent some time looking at next.minor today... the changes actually
> aren't that bad.  The main changes are the addition of the theme
> summer of code project from last year and some struct hiding.
>
> If there are no objections I can merge that branch in the next few
> days (and we can keep doing struct hiding until we think we want to
> release).  Richard, did you say there was something you wanted to look
> into before merging?

There are some xmpp branches that want to be merged sooner rather than
later. Specifically the ibb and attention branches (though possibly also
the newer avatar branch).

Richard was concerned about some change or other, but I don't recall what offhand.

We want to check that we still build against GTK+/Glib 2.0.0 (assuming we
intend to stick to that) because I think the theme loader stuff uses some
2.2.0 functions.

Other than the above I think it is likely a good idea to merge and release.

> Regardless of what we do with next.minor, we may want to do a small
> patch release of 2.5.5 with a fix for the ICQ connection problem, if
> the problems persists.  See http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/8198 for
> more info.

Do we have any real information about whether the problem still exists? Do
we know anything about what the solution actually is (i.e. what is the
deal with these sequence numbers)? Is there any validity to the claims
that this sequence number stuff fixes moving buddies between groups? (If
there is than we should look into it more purely from that perspective.)

> -Mark

    -Etan