pidgin.next.minor: 9e31989c: A patch from Chris Connett to change the...

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon Jan 26 14:17:27 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:55:39PM -0600, Kevin Stange wrote:
<snip>
> > Here's the relevant description from #5447:
> >
> >         It implements a new buddy list sorting method. Buddies are
> >         sorted by their recent activity, i.e., how much text you have
> >         exchanged recently.
> >
> >         It works similarly to the log size sorting method, but instead
> >         of counting number of bytes in a particular conversation, it
> >         counts bytes in the conversation decayed exponentially by age,
> >         with a half-life of 14 days. Thus, people you've started talking
> >         to a lot in recent days will climb to the top of the buddy list.
> >         Since recent text counts more, new friends you've been talking
> >         with recently will claim the top spots, instead of the person
> >         you've known a long time and who has the largest log.
> >
> > Note, the patch as committed *replaces* the existing sort method. I'm
> > especially interested to know how people feel about that.
> >

> Why did you replace the existing sort method instead of adding an
> additional option to the menu?
>
> Kevin

We couldn't think of a reason to have/need both. I think the fall-off
behaviour is most likely what people are going to want and I really don't
want to have to come up with explanatory text which explains the
difference well enough for people to understand what they each were if we
kept both.

Does anyone have a reason they think we should have both (and ideally some
good text to explain them)?

    -Etan