pidgin: bf66b180: Patch to fix retrieval of ICQ status mes...

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Wed Jan 28 22:49:34 EST 2009

rekkanoryo at pidgin.im wrote:
> ChangeLog:
>
> Patch to fix retrieval of ICQ status messages from users of ICQ 6.x, Miranda,
> and libpurple users.  Retrieval of messages from libpurple users works only
> for statuses that are not Available.  Fixes #703, #892, #4904, #4984, #6848.

I'm sure someone's going to ask this question, so I figured I'd answer ahead of
time.  The reason this doesn't work for Available statuses isn't completely
clear.  If we change libpurple to identify as ICQ Basic 14.34.3000, then it
works for Available as well.

The problem I see with this is we used to identify as ICQ Basic prior to 2.4.3.
 The servers started rejecting that client ID, which prompted us to change to
identifying as ICQ 6.0.  I've been reluctant to reverse that particular client
ID change, mainly because of the breakage we experienced, but also because I
wasn't sure if it would break the ICQ X-Status stuff Richard and I have worked
on.  However, Dimmuxx, the author of this patch, assures me that using that
client ID does work and does not break X-Status (Miranda uses the same client ID
and X-Status works for them).

So, I'm going to leave this to others to decide.  Should we change back to
identifying as ICQ Basic?  Or should we try to figure out what's busted with our
handling of ICQ available messages when we claim to be ICQ 6.0?

John