Launchpad Bug field in Trac

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Jan 29 17:41:36 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 15:08 -0500, John Bailey wrote:
> I see we now have a "Launchpad Bug" field on our tickets.  I have a few
> questions about this.
>
>  * Who added this?

Umm, me. Duh! ;)

>  * Why are we giving special treatment to Ubuntu, but ignoring
>    Debian, RedHat, Novell, Mandriva, etc.?

Launchpad != Ubuntu

Launchpad's bug tracker includes functionality to link bugs to multiple
places. For a not-so-useful example:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/pidgin/+bug/182759

I noticed RedHat's bugzilla recently grew this at some point. That said,
nobody else has released a Trac plugin, so at the moment, our choices
are to install none or 100% of the existing plugins of this type.

>  * Why do we need to keep track of this?  It's the packager's
>    job to keep track of what bugs on their end correspond to bugs
>    on our trac, not the other way around.

1. Supposedly the plugin reduces server load for Launchpad updating bug
status, so it may be a net win for us simply because other people use
Launchpad. I'm not sure how much I trust this estimate, though.

2. It should mirror comments between the two, which may be useful.

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 15:25 -0500, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
> * Is there a reason this kind of changes are made without discussing
> it with other developers first?

The setup isn't complete, so it's not really doing anything at the
moment (other than adding an empty field). I didn't see a lot of point
in bringing it up until there was some functionality. I had expected the
Launchpad team to complete their end of the setup by now. At that point,
I could say, "Look, it does X."

To be honest, I'm not sure why they have it adding the Launchpad Bug
field in quite the way it does. That's something I can look into
changing once the setup is complete. It seems to me that the linkages
should happen on the Launchpad side only (as they are now) and just
magically show up on our end. If this is going to require extra work on
our end to be useful, I'll uninstall the plugin.

Richard