Headless client ?

bruno.abinader at openbossa.org bruno.abinader at openbossa.org
Tue Jul 7 08:37:03 EDT 2009

Hi Marius,

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Marius Orcsik<marius.orcsik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I come in peace with another idea which probably won't get any answers.
>
> Is it possible to create a headless purple client ? And by headless I mean a
> daemon which only sends/receives d-bus signals and which could be plugged to
> any interface in the world, without having the `bloat` of pidgin and/or
> finch.
>
> The more specific use-case would be a client similar to the Moblin 'People
> tab' interface. (Another example would be the KDE Lancelot launcher, which
> has a similar function)
>
> Do you know of any such clients existing at this moment ?

As answered by others in this group, yes it is possible :) I've done it myself actually. There is a project I worked with (Carman) which includes a "headless" libpurple daemon that behaves just like you mentioned above (sending/receiving data through D-Bus messages and signals).

For more information, take a look at the link below:

http://code.openbossa.org/projects/infosharingd

[]s