Proposed changes for Pidgin 2.7.0

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Jul 14 12:11:34 EDT 2009

Felipe Contreras wrote:
> I would vote for 2.14 due to g_timeout_add_seconds; which is specially
> important if you want to use Pidgin in an embedded device due to power
> usage, and I want to do that.

Libpurple, since 2.1.0, includes purple_timeout_add_seconds() which does the
same thing.  We did this specifically so older glib installations could benefit
as well.  This function also has the benefit of not requiring the glib mainloop
like g_timeout_add_seconds() does.  For Pidgin and Finch users, this distinction
is irrelevant, but other UI's may wish not to use glib's mainloop and instead
have their own.  Some UI's may even be *forced* to use a non-glib mainloop.

That said, I would have preferred glib 2.14.0 as the minimum myself, but that's
not even 2 years old yet.  While I advocate getting out of the stone age, we
can't realistically expect everyone to be willing to upgrade distros as
frequently as we do.  Even 3 years may be a bit of a stretch, but at that point
I consider it either the user's fault for refusing to upgrade or the
distribution's fault for not backporting packages they want to keep updated.
Additionally, it doesn't cost us as much (relatively speaking) to support a
minimum of glib 2.12.0 as it does to support a minimum of glib 2.0.0.

John