Proposed changes for Pidgin 2.7.0

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 22:23:41 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 7:11 PM, John Bailey<rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org> wrote:
> Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> I would vote for 2.14 due to g_timeout_add_seconds; which is specially
>> important if you want to use Pidgin in an embedded device due to power
>> usage, and I want to do that.
>
> Libpurple, since 2.1.0, includes purple_timeout_add_seconds() which does the
> same thing.  We did this specifically so older glib installations could benefit
> as well.  This function also has the benefit of not requiring the glib mainloop
> like g_timeout_add_seconds() does.  For Pidgin and Finch users, this distinction
> is irrelevant, but other UI's may wish not to use glib's mainloop and instead
> have their own.  Some UI's may even be *forced* to use a non-glib mainloop.

"g_timeout_add_seconds(1, ..." is obviously not the same as
"g_timeout_add(1 * 1000, ..."

So, no, purple_timeout_add_seconds is not doing the same thing
compiled for GLib 2.12 than for GLib 2.14.

> That said, I would have preferred glib 2.14.0 as the minimum myself, but that's
> not even 2 years old yet.  While I advocate getting out of the stone age, we
> can't realistically expect everyone to be willing to upgrade distros as
> frequently as we do.  Even 3 years may be a bit of a stretch, but at that point
> I consider it either the user's fault for refusing to upgrade or the
> distribution's fault for not backporting packages they want to keep updated.
> Additionally, it doesn't cost us as much (relatively speaking) to support a
> minimum of glib 2.12.0 as it does to support a minimum of glib 2.0.0.

I understand that, but if somebody is looking for a practical reason
to choose one version over the other, there it is.

--
Felipe Contreras