Proposed changes for Pidgin 2.7.0

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Sat Jul 18 14:33:39 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 08:49 +0530, Sulabh Mahajan wrote:
> As a new developer, with not too much experience, I have no idea of
> how old is some version, and what's the damage caused when using a
> function which has been supported since ages, but not by our minimum
> requirements. That happened with g_strv_length() for Yahoo prpl, I
> assumed it won't cause a problem, as it existed in the oldest version
> of the Glib Reference manual provided here
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/
>
> I just use the manual of the oldest version (2.6.6) , and assume at
> least this would be safe.

You need to look at the function documentation, like this:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/glib/2.21/glib-String-Utility-Functions.html#g-strv-length

If it says "Since 2.x", then that was the version it was introduced. If
it doesn't, it was there in 2.0. Personally, I'd like to see them like
2.0 explicitly for consistency, but they don't.

Richard