Next Pidgin release

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Fri Jun 19 16:39:14 EDT 2009

Mark Doliner wrote:
> The Yahoo prpl in 2.5.6 isn't working so hot right now.  We should
> probably released a patched version of Pidgin.  Should this be 2.5.7
> or 2.6.0?

I vote for 2.5.7.  I've been working on this.  I have a branch that I've not yet
pushed that's working toward this.  I should have it ready in a few hours.

> 2.5.7 cons: We'd have to merge Sulabh's yahoo branch into the 2.5.6
> branch, right?  That seems somewhat risky, since the merged code
> wouldn't get a lot of testing before it gets released.  I don't know
> if it adds API or requests anything that's new in 2.6.0.

No, we don't need to merge Sulabh's yahoo branch.  I've been able to manually
apply the patches and let the p2p related stuff reject.  Thus far I've gotten no
unwanted spillover while keeping the functionality needed.  I did have to yank
some code from libpurple 2.6.0devel and make it local to the yahoo prpl, but
this is a one-off release so it won't matter much, and this makes it easier for
Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, etc. to use the 2.5.7 code for backporting.

> 2.6.0 cons:
> * I know John had some patches and branches he wanted to get into
> 2.6.0.  I imagine some of them add API.  If that's the case then we'd
> have to bump the version up to 2.7.0 when we merge them in.  I'm
> absolutely ok with that--we should not be constrained by our
> versioning system, the version number should reflect our desires.

The ICQ X-Status branch does indeed add API.  I agree with this idea, though.
If we need to bump minor, do it.  We shouldn't care if the minor version reaches
25 or even 2500, as long as we keep following our compatibility rules.

> * No translation updates.  We could release 2.6.0 with no translation
> updates then release 2.6.1 a week or two later with updated
> translations.

I'm not so sure this would be a good idea.  We'd have a crapton of angry
translators.

I vote for taking the 2.5.7 work I'm doing and releasing that.

John