Trac account e-mail verification

Ka-Hing Cheung khc at hxbc.us
Sun Mar 1 13:36:43 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 12:56 -0500, John Bailey wrote:
> In ticket #36, Warren Togami reported that trac allows users to create accounts
> without specifying an e-mail address and without verifying the specified
> address.  Daniel later updated the account manager plugin to require an e-mail
> address when registering, however it still did not require verification of that
> e-mail address.
>
> Now that we've updated to trac 0.11.x, the new account manager plugin supports
> e-mail address verification for new and existing accounts.  Richard and I
> expressed on the ticket that we would like to see this enabled, and Daniel
> suggested it be mentioned here before changing it.
>
> Therefore, I propose to enable e-mail address verification on trac accounts.
> Any thoughts/objections from developers/CPW's?  (Yes, I'm explicitly saying I
> don't care what users' opinions are on this issue.)

I feel neutral about this. Whenever I ask for more information about a
bug I just toggle "Pending" if it's the first inquiry, and if for
whatever reason the user doesn't response the ticket will be closed
anyway. In my experience this doesn't happen very often, or at least not
often enough to bother me, so I don't know if the extra effort required
by the user is worth it.

-khc