Google Summer of Code

Eric Polino aluink at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 12:45:58 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 02:58, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> Hey, we want to participate in Google Summer of Code again this year,
> right?  Unless I hear lots of people say no, I'll plan on filling out
> the mentor organization form for us on March 9th (unless someone else
> particularly wants to be the admin?).  And we should be putting
> potential ideas up at
> http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/FutureSOCProjects
>
> Also, if you're listed as a developer or a crazy patch writer in our
> About window, please consider being a mentor!  It's not too hard, you
> basically guide someone new to the world of open source.  Show them
> how to check out our source code, advise them on making small atomic
> commits, suggest improvements in coding style, help them interact with
> the rest of us, answer their questions, etc.  If it sounds scary
> because you're a programmer and you don't want to have to interact
> with people, don't worry!  Everyone else here programs and we're all
> crappy at interacting with people.

Don't underestimate the privilege of being a mentor.  I did SOC in '07
with Pidgin and it was a great experience.  My mentor was awesome
(props to Sadrul).  I felt as though the whole team was a mentor
sometimes also.  I spent lots of time in IRC just trying to be part of
the project.  It was great.  Though not as much as I'd wanted, I've
kept up with open source in a few places since then.  Anyhow, being a
mentor is a real privilege, if you can, do consider it!