Google Summer of Code

Ibrahim Awwal ibrahim.awwal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 19:01:47 EST 2009

John Bailey wrote:
> Mark Doliner wrote:
>
>> Hey, we want to participate in Google Summer of Code again this year,
>> right?  Unless I hear lots of people say no, I'll plan on filling out
>> the mentor organization form for us on March 9th (unless someone else
>> particularly wants to be the admin?).  And we should be putting
>> potential ideas up at
>> http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/FutureSOCProjects
>>

> I'd really like to get the native win32 UI project going this year if we have a
> good applicant.  I'm hoping that starting the project will spark interest in the
> Windows-inclined developers out there.

Hi,
I don't really fit most of the qualifications listed on the wiki page
above, but I'll just throw this out there since I am very interested in
seeing a native Windows libpurple client, and would like to help with it
if I can.

I am Ibrahim Awwal, a first year EECS student at UC Berkeley. I consider
myself a pretty good programmer, and I have strong experience with Java
and C, and some experience with a host of other languages as well. I
have good grades; I'm a candidate for joining Tau Beta Pi
(http://tbp.berkeley.edu ), the national Engineering honor society, and
Eta Kappa Nu (http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/ ), the national Electrical
Engineering honor society. I am also, for good or bad, fairly likely to
stick with the Windows platform for some time, at least for my desktop
OS. I don't have experience with .Net, but I have made a lot of Java GUI
applications, and more importantly, I have been able to pick up new
languages pretty easily and I think I could learn .Net well enough to
work on this project. I do have some experience with the Win32 API, via
VB6 whatever you think of that, but I will assert that I did not just
play with the GUI forms creator, I actually created interfaces from
code. I haven't done anything with Win32 programming since maybe 4 or 5
years ago though, but again, I think I can pick it up fairly easily. I
realize that this is a big project, but maybe I can prove myself before
the SoC actually starts.

So basically, I *think* I can at least make a good start on the Win32 UI
project, and if no one else volunteers for it I would be interested in
doing it. Let me know what you think (I'm subscribed to this list of
course). And finally, thank you for making the only sane IM client that
I can use without wanting to punch through a wall ;).

-Ibrahim Awwal