GSoC 2009 Idea

Sreyansh Gandhi srey.gandhi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 02:27:21 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>wrote:

> [...]
> >> Hi again,
> >>
> >> My idea is basically letting users to make their conversation more
> >> interactive with Images and screenshot. AFAIK (to my knowledge), there
> is no
> >> chat client that will let you embed a picture along with the chat
> >> messages..
> >
> > AIM has supported embedding images (and in fact any file at all I
> believe)
> > into the chat window directly for a very long time. I believe XMPP has
> > support for inline images as well, and has even improved this support
> > recently.
>
> Correct:
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0231.html
>
> > MSN supports a very limited version of this sort of thing in
> > that it supports custom smileys.
> >
> > pidgin has supported this on AIM for as long as I am aware of and
> > according to the code pidgin also supports it for ICQ, GG, MySpace, SILC,
> > and SameTime.
> >
> >> Following features can be provided:
> >>
> >> - Letting users embed picture in chat box (drag-drop a pic in box. A pop
> up
> >> will open to send, use as buddy icon(already exists) and EMBED PICTURE
> IN
> >> CHAT).
> >
> > This should already occur for the protocols that pidgin supports inline
> images for.
> >
> >> - Take a SnapShot of picture and paste it in chat box (provide a Image
> >> capturing icon, clicking on that will let user embed picture)
> >
> > pidgin is not a screen shot application, nor should it be. The Send
> > Screenshot plugin on the third party plugins page
> > (http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins#Miscellaneous) was
> > created to support this sort of feature more easily.
> >
> >> - Play around with image say using marker to show what exactly you
> wanted
> >> to. (a colored pencil for marking would definitely help).
> >
> > This sounds like whiteboard support which pidgin supports for a very few
> > protocols in a rather limited fashion. I believe whiteboards are
> supported
> > for SILC and Yahoo! at the moment (Yahoo! calls it 'Doodle' I believe, at
> > least that is what we call it in pidgin for Yahoo!).
> >
> > Adding better whiteboard support for Yahoo! and SILC is a worthwhile goal
> > as is adding whiteboard support for other protocols that have similar
> > features. I don't think improving the existing support would make for a
> > SoC project but adding support for a new protocol might (though I can't
> > say whether it would be approved or not).
>
> In XMPP we've had various debates and proposals for whiteboarding, but
> we don't yet have a settled protocol. We had a GSoC project for this a
> few years back, which resulted in whiteboarding support in the Psi
> client using this protocol:
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/sxe.html
>
> If you're interested, let me know and I can connect you with some of the

I am really interested in working with XMPP for this GSoC project.
Let me understand more clearly that our focus will be to add Whiteboarding
support protocol in XMPP ?
I read the SXE specification. This is very generalized way which I had
mentioned in my idea.
In my idea What I suggested was to have a picture sharing and let users have
marker pen to show the editing.
I would like to now generalize the idea and provide SXE based protocol
support in Pidgin.
one query: In SXE spec its written that - the spec is not officially
accepted. So is it permissible to use it in production environment. and can
u please tell me where can I get the implementation of this (if any...)
I also came across two other proposed protocols SXDE (
http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/sxde.html )

and Whiteboard2. http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/whiteboard2.html
Please throw some more insights on this.
Thanks,
Sreyansh