Avoid loading all the plugins

Ludovico Cavedon ludovico.cavedon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 16:46:26 EDT 2009

Etan Reisner wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:46:06AM -0700, Ludovico Cavedon wrote:
>> is there a way to prevent libpurple to load plugins I do not need?
>>
>> Qutecom (ex wengophone) uses libpurple for IM, and just needs the
>> jabber, msn nad icq/aim plugins, and no support for e.g. tcl, and perl...
>> but when it calls puple_core_init() all plugins gets loaded.
>
> Don't build or install the plugins you don't want/need, or build libpurple
> with your plugins of choice compiled in statically and disable plugins.

Yes, this is what qutecom is currently doing, but I would like to use
the system libpurple library provided with Ubuntu/Debian, rather than
having qutecom ship its own copy of libpurple.

Ethan Blanton wrote:
> Any purple core plugins which are installed with libpurple will be
> loaded, and there's not currently anything you can do about that.
> They won't hurt anything, though, so you can probably just ignore
> them.  Why do you believe they will pose a problem?

There are two reasons:
-reduce load time and memory used (why should I load libtcl and libperl
when I am sure I will never user them?)
-reduce the change of plugins making the application crash (currently
happening with perl and tcl
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/8758
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/8758

Thank you,