libpurple crashing since 18 months

Thorsten sendmail at gmx.net
Tue Mar 24 23:39:42 EDT 2009

I am tired and frustrated. I am using libpurple since 18 months for a
chatbot - which is a fun-project - and since 18 months libpurple is
constantly crashing. And with every new version it becomes more worse.
And I am tired of filing bug reports to the bug tracker and nothing is
happening.

Except AIM, all protocols do crash. The MSN protocol is the worst: it
crashes immediately when connecting. I looked at the sources and they
are ugly. It seems some people have never heard that pointers can become
NULL or that there might be side-effects in the code and that functions
can return bad values, in addition it looks like there are also memory
leaks. Of course my chatbot stresses libpurple by having many
conversations at the same time and thousands of chats per day. But in
fact it just reveals the bad quality of the libpurple code.

I disabled now all protocols except AIM and I wrote my own
multi-threaded HTTP server, so people can chat with my fun-bot through a
browser. However, people are used to chat with it through their
messengers and are complaining now.

So the question is: Is there still hope that the bugs in libpurple will
be fixed?

I am willing to assist as much as I can, but I have no interest in
wasting my time by filing reports to the bug tracker and no one cares or
cares after 4 months without any progress. Since my bot stresses
libpurple, this is also a chance to reveal all weaknesses of libpurple
and to make it bug-free. Every responsible programmer is welcome to
contact me and to discuss bugs, backtraces and the values of parameters
and variables with me in-depth, so the bugs can be fixed as quickly as
possible.

Greetings
Thorsten