libpurple crashing since 18 months

Daniel Atallah daniel.atallah at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 00:47:03 EDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Thorsten <sendmail at gmx.net> wrote:
> I am tired and frustrated. I am using libpurple since 18 months for a
> chatbot - which is a fun-project - and since 18 months libpurple is
> constantly crashing. And with every new version it becomes more worse.
> And I am tired of filing bug reports to the bug tracker and nothing is
> happening.
>
> Except AIM, all protocols do crash. The MSN protocol is the worst: it
> crashes immediately when connecting. I looked at the sources and they
> are ugly. It seems some people have never heard that pointers can become
> NULL or that there might be side-effects in the code and that functions
> can return bad values, in addition it looks like there are also memory
> leaks. Of course my chatbot stresses libpurple by having many
> conversations at the same time and thousands of chats per day. But in
> fact it just reveals the bad quality of the libpurple code.

Sorry, but this just sounds like you're trying to be confrontational.
If you have specific examples of bugs in the code; create a patch.

> I disabled now all protocols except AIM and I wrote my own
> multi-threaded HTTP server, so people can chat with my fun-bot through a
> browser. However, people are used to chat with it through their
> messengers and are complaining now.

When you say "Multithreaded", it causes alarm bells to go off.

Are you accessing a libpurple instance from several threads?

> So the question is: Is there still hope that the bugs in libpurple will
> be fixed?

Which specific tickets are you referring to?

-D