Avoid loading all the plugins

Ludovico Cavedon ludovico.cavedon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 01:10:01 EDT 2009

Ka-Hing Cheung wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 13:46 -0700, Ludovico Cavedon wrote:
>> There are two reasons:
>> -reduce load time and memory used (why should I load libtcl and libperl
>> when I am sure I will never user them?)
>
> Is that "I" as in "I am a qutecom developer and don't want people to use
> plugins with qutecom", or "I am a qutecom user who don't want to use
> plugins"?

Yeah, sorry. I was not clear. I am one of the Debian maintainer for
qutecom. I am trying to avoid qutecom shipping its own private copy of
libpurple.

> If it's the first case, are you sure none of your users would ever want
> to use a perl/tcl plugin? If it's the second case, can't you just
> uninstall the plugins that you don't need?

For the first case: qutecom just uses a fixed hardcoded subset of
libpurple plugins.
For the second case: I would not get two benefits I was seeking: reduce
load time and prevent buggy plugins two crash the application...

Thank you,
Ludovico