libpurple crashing since 18 months

Stephen Eilert spedrosa at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 20:25:36 EDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Thorsten <sendmail at gmx.net> wrote:

> > You were asked for a valgrind log. This question has never be answered.
> > Do YOU call this communicating?
>
> It was 7 or 8 weeks after filing the report, when I had been asked for a
> valgrind log. At that time I had upgraded libpurple and I had a
> different bug, as I did explain  in my answer. I also posted very
> detailed information about the cause for the new problem, much more
> detailed than a valgrind log could do.
>
> > Pidgin is stable for me (WITH MSN). So what's your point. I'm using it
> > 24/7 for at least 2 months without a single crash.
>
> Ok, so this must be gamma-rays or some kind of earth radiation which
> causes the problems on my side. :-)

I do have issues with MSN, from time to time, as do my colleagues (might
have to do with ubuntu, or even with the pt_BR locale). I didn't have time
to debug it yet, and I've seen similar bug reports.

What I cannot understand is your attitude. You come here not asking, but
*demanding* that the bugs that apparently only you seem to be having (at
least with that regularity) be fixed, bugs that may well be related to your
chatbot and lack of understanding of multithreaded programming.

I would not tolerate that kind of abuse from my boss, I don't think it is
even appropriate for an open-source project.

The source is there. If you care that much, and if that's been so long, fix
it yourself and submit the patch. Easy. Or pay someone to do it, if you do
not have the skills.

Just watch your tone, and I'm sure people will be much more helpful.

Disclaimer: I'm an user, not a pidgin developer.

--Stephen

programmer, n:
       A red eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate
monsters.