Summer of Code

Jason Maloney jason.maloney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 21:43:16 EDT 2009

Greetings:

My name is Jason, and I am an undergraduate Computer Science major at the
University of Louisiana at Lafayette. I have been interested in working with
pidgin for some time, and I was wondering if you could give me some
information about participating in the Summer of Code project. I understand
that communicating with the project developers is an important part of the
project, so I have come to you by email before submitting an application.

I am primarily a Windows user, and I notice that your Future SoC Projects
page mentions writing a native Windows UI against libpurple. Having
programmed for Windows for several years now, and having been discouraged by
Pidgin's lack of a native UI on this platform, I would be more than
interested in completing this project. I have authored open-source code
relating to messaging UI in the past, specifically a plugin for the official
AOL Instant Messenger 5.x client to improve various UI functionality. I have
even been researching writing my own libpurple UI recently before coming
across the SoC project.

Would you be interested in me completing this task? Should I go ahead and
submit an application through the SoC website? Is there any information or
insight you could offer me about getting accepted into the project? This is
something I have been wanting to do for a long time, and I feel that the
open-source route would be much better than developing yet another
proprietary messenger UI.

Thank you very much for your time,
Jason