Problems using PurpleAccountConnect

Matthew Gordon matthew at virsonainc.com
Thu May 7 14:31:18 EDT 2009

It has been an epic journey, but I have finally managed to communicate
with Pidgin using D-Bus and python. I can create accounts, set their
passwords, enable/disable them, and delete them. The only thing that I
cannot figure out is how to make the accounts actually connect. I have
included my code below.

import dbus, gobject

bus = dbus.SessionBus()
obj = bus.get_object("im.pidgin.purple.PurpleService",
"/im/pidgin/purple/PurpleObject")
purple = dbus.Interface(obj, "im.pidgin.purple.PurpleInterface")
account = purple.PurpleAccountsFind("exampleUsername","prpl-aim")
purple.PurpleAccountSetEnabled(account,"gtk-gaim", 1)
purple.PurpleAccountConnect(account)

I have tried running the code with and without the SetEnabled line.
Either way, I cannot get my account to go online. The debug log from
Finch only shows the following:

dbus: Need to register an object with the dbus subsystem.
dbus: The signal "dbus-introspect" caused some dbus error.
account: Connecting to account exampleUsername

I don't think the dbus-introspection error is relevant, but I could be
wrong. Any insight on what is wrong or how I might figure that out would
be much appreciated!

-- Matthew