Problems using PurpleAccountConnect

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Thu May 7 17:37:28 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 08:31:18PM +0200, Matthew Gordon wrote:
<snip>
> import dbus, gobject
>
> bus = dbus.SessionBus()
> obj = bus.get_object("im.pidgin.purple.PurpleService",
> "/im/pidgin/purple/PurpleObject")
> purple = dbus.Interface(obj, "im.pidgin.purple.PurpleInterface")
> account = purple.PurpleAccountsFind("exampleUsername","prpl-aim")
> purple.PurpleAccountSetEnabled(account,"gtk-gaim", 1)
> purple.PurpleAccountConnect(account)
>
> I have tried running the code with and without the SetEnabled line.
> Either way, I cannot get my account to go online. The debug log from
> Finch only shows the following:
>
> dbus: Need to register an object with the dbus subsystem.
> dbus: The signal "dbus-introspect" caused some dbus error.
> account: Connecting to account exampleUsername
>
> I don't think the dbus-introspection error is relevant, but I could be
> wrong. Any insight on what is wrong or how I might figure that out would
> be much appreciated!
>
> -- Matthew

Correct, the DBus introspection errors are almost certainly not related.

You need to enable an account before pidgin or finch will sign it on, your
problem is that you are only enabling the account for pidgin and not for
finch. Run pidgin and your code will likely work.

Additionally, you often do not need to manually tell an account to
connect. If the current global status says it should connect then it will
connect as soon as enabled.

    -Etan