Yahoo 16 HTTP login

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Sat May 30 11:17:20 EDT 2009

John Bailey wrote:
>> I'd like some opinions on that revision
>> (c1ede5faf776dc1cc966dabb42c1ef0dbaea31db).
>
> Just for the record, I forgot to mention that this particular revision resolves
> the one blocker that prevents merging this branch to im.pidgin.pidgin.  If there
> are no objections, I'd like to do so soon.

I mentioned in a message on another thread that I've merged the Yahoo 16 code to
im.pidgin.pidgin.  As a result of Adium using libpurple 2.6.0devel in their
1.4beta series, this code is getting a fair amount of testing.  So far we've had
three "regressions" reported:

* Can't log in when account-specific proxy is configured
* Can't log in as invisible anymore
* One report of not being able to connect when no proxy configuration is in use.
 The user's debug log is missing the last few lines that normally accompany a
successful connection.

I think I've fixed the first case by adding
purple_util_fetch_url_request_len_with_account().  The problem was that the
yahoo prpl used purple_util_fetch_url_request() to do the HTTP connections.
This function calls purple_proxy_connect, but supplies NULL for the account
parameter, thus ignoring an account specific proxy.  I added the new function
and updated the yahoo prpl to use it.  I'm currently waiting on Adium users to
report its success or failure.

I'm not particularly inclined to care about invisible, as I don't think the
ability should exist on any protocol, but if this doesn't get fixed we'll never
hear the end of user complaints.  I don't have the debug log from the third
case, and the user reported that a transparent proxy may be in place, so I'm not
sure how to diagnose the problem there.

John