Summer of Code Mentor Summit

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Thu Oct 29 04:52:54 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 7:02 PM, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> Hi!  We've been participating in Google's Summer of Code[1] for the
> past few years.  And for the past few years Google has hosted a
> "mentor summit" at the end of each summer.  Google pays for travel and
> hotel cost for twoish mentors from each organization to hang out at
> Google's Mountain View, CA, USA office for two days and talk about our
> experience with summer of code.  It's one of those "unconference"
> things.  Mentors share advice with each other in the hopes of doing
> things better next year.
>
> This year's mentor summit is this weekend (yes, like, right now), and
> we're sending Ethan Blanton (Paco-Paco), Gary Kramlich (grim) and me
> (KingAnt)(I'm local).
>
> This email doesn't have much of a purpose, just wanted to keep people
> informed...  Also, Ka-Hing or Casey or any other devs who happen to be
> in the area, if anyone wants to meet up or anything let me know.
>
> (And my apologies for not sending this email earlier.)
>
> -Mark
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/soc/
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconference

It went well!

Notes from the various sessions are publicly available at
http://gsoc-wiki.osuosl.org/index.php/Session_Notes_2009
My random assortment of notes is at http://thekingant.livejournal.com/94571.html
Some pictures from the summit are at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/mentorsummit09/

We had a guy take a few pictures of Ethan, Gary and I in front of the
big Android on Google's campus, but I don't see them on Flickr or
Facebook yet.  Hopefully he'll post them soon.

-Mark