Implementation of VP8/WebM in XMPP video chat

Yann yannubuntu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 21:45:01 EDT 2010

>We set to ourselfs 3 main goals:
> - implementing WebM to XMPP video chat
> - Audio/video support for Windows
> - implement conference/multiuser video chat

Hi Alec,
your 3 goals are great, I really hope you will succeed.
As Paul pointed out, WebM seems to require "standardised RTP
payloading" -> i wonder if the reason is Google who did not give yet
all informations about WebM. I asked the question on
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pidgin/+bug/593477 , let's
follow this.

Concerning Audio/video support for Windows, that would be great on
Pidgin (see http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/11075). Ekiga has
already Audio/video support for Windows (for SIP, not XMPP), so maybe
looking its code could help ? Another solution to get XMPP audio/video
support on Windows would be to port Telepathy (Empathy's framework) to
Windows  : http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Windows .

Concerning conference/multiuser video chat, that would also be great
on Pidgin. Muji (kind of Empathy addon, see
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Muji) can already do it with
XMPP, so maybe you could first help to improve Muji, or/and take
inspiration on Muji's code to do the same for Pidgin ?

Please keep me informed of your project.
~Yann