Implementation of VP8/WebM in XMPP video chat

Matevž Jekovec matevz.jekovec at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 03:34:57 EDT 2010

Let me add my 2 euro cents. ;)

My name is Matevž and I'm a 24 years old computer science student. I was
also at the hacking weekend mainly focusing at the multi-user conference
calls for jingle (MUJI). The specifications are all in XEP-0272
(http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0272.html). We also took the python's
prototype MujiDemo for telepathy as an example
(http://blogs.gnome.org/danni/2010/06/07/muji-multi-user-jingle/).

The main problem we encountered is the bandwidth use - MUJI doesn't
define (see the last paragraph of XEP-0272) the centralized audio/video
relay, but it's all p2p. This means that for 4 users, each user sends
and receives 3 streams, which is a major problem for anything else than
FTTx fiber internet connection or the local network.

Regards.
-Matevž

ps. Been also helping other teams out. We successfully compiled Pidgin
with gstreamer on windows, but the VV was not working yet. We didn't
investigate further (there was <error> stanza in XMPP console), but we
assumed that the gstreamer was too old. Only windows packages built on
Oct 09 were available. Compiling the gstreamer (+35 dependencies) by
ourselves was not an option :/
You can get the compilable version for windows at our SVN repository:
http://jekovec.net/svn/pidgin

We mainly added and changed Makefile.mingw to enable VV and include the
farsight/gstreamer stuff.

Na 23. 08. 2010 19:30, Alec Smrekar je pisal: