[ANN] msn-pecan-0.1.1 released

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 06:45:34 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm not sure if you intended to send this email to all the mailing
lists, but now that you did, I feel compelled to reply the same way.

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Chris Forsythe <chris at growl.info> wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2010, at 12:31 PM, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> msn-pecan is a "fork" of libpurple's MSN plug-in in the same sense
>> that MariaDB is a fork of MySQL; the former comes from the original
>> author(s) due to the inability to contribute as wanted on the later.
>
> Was this portion really necessary? You've been told numerous times to stop, and while this is much better than previous emails, this whole paragraph could have been removed and no value would have been lost in this email. You don't even start the email out with what the email is about, you just go into the whole rehashing of why msn-pecan exists. I get it, you don't like something, but get over it. You have something good going here, but it's tainted by the continued perceived hatred you are eschewing. Please discontinue this practice, it's simply annoying and childish at this point.

Many projects start their release announcements by explaining what the
project is. I'm simply doing the same.

If you want me to change that text I would like to hear a proposal
that achieves the same thing:
 1) Explains with clarity with the "fork" was stated
 2) Points out the obvious biggest advantage of using this code

Now, I'm not spreading any hatred, I'm merely stating the truth. I am
overwhelmingly the main author of libpurple's code, and I've provided
evidence to back that up. It seems to me that you just don't like to
hear that fact.

How about this:
msn-pecan is an own-code fork of libpurple's msn that goes beyond
libpurple, for a comparison see[1].

[1] http://code.google.com/p/msn-pecan/

> I'd unsubscribe from your emails, but I simply cannot. I like being on the adium development list, I don't like seeing things like this though. Can you please stop sending this sort of thing, and just keep your release notices informational about the actual changes/improvements/project progress? I think that'd make life easier for people who are interested in your project.

So you don't want to receive these mails because of a one line
introduction? You can't unsubscribe, but you can filter.

> Is there an msn-pecan mailing list? If so, maybe these updates are more appropriate there anyhow?

The mail is also sent there, but msn-pecan has many Adium users as well.

--
Felipe Contreras