MPOP for Yahoo! Messenger

Jonathan Tsai jontsai8601 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 21 17:16:20 EST 2010

Hello,

I'm a long-time user of Pidgin (since the Gaim days), but new to this community.

Yahoo! Messenger now supports MPOP, but the catch is that the clients have to support MPOP as well. As of now, I'm only aware of the latest Windows client supporting MPOP, but this is not functionally useful if other clients on other platforms do not.

Are there currently any efforts in the Pidgin developer community to implement MPOP for Yahoo! Messenger? Is it on the roadmap? If not, I think it'd be a fun project to work on over winter break.

I'm not sure if the APIs are officially released yet, but my friend who works on the Messenger team says that if they are, they would be on YDN <http://developer.yahoo.com/messenger/>

Disclaimer: I am employed by Yahoo!, but I do not work on the Messenger team. I am interested in working on an MPOP project for Pidgin purely as a personal project from a user perspective and to give back to the open-source community; my words, ideas, and views are my own, and do not represent that of my company.
--
jontsai