MPOP for Yahoo! Messenger

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Dec 21 18:22:54 EST 2010

On 12/21/2010 05:16 PM, Jonathan Tsai wrote:
> Yahoo! Messenger now supports MPOP, but the catch is that the clients
> have to support MPOP as well. As of now, I'm only aware of the latest
> Windows client supporting MPOP, but this is not functionally useful if
> other clients on other platforms do not.

MPOP support is news to me.

> Are there currently any efforts in the Pidgin developer community to
> implement MPOP for Yahoo! Messenger? Is it on the roadmap? If not, I
> think it'd be a fun project to work on over winter break.

I'm reasonably certain no one is currently working on it, and it's unlikely that
we'll grow support without submitted patches anytime soon.

> I'm not sure if the APIs are officially released yet, but my friend who
> works on the Messenger team says that if they are, they would be on YDN
> <http://developer.yahoo.com/messenger/>

We don't use the SDK--it's entirely useless to us, and it seems to be designed
in a server-centric model, anyway.  Additionally, there's some crap in the terms
about not exceeding 5,000 daily unique users which we could never hope to comply
with and the licensing terms are incompatible with the GPL.  In essence, we
could never use it, nor can I conceive of a reason why we'd want to.

> Disclaimer: I am employed by Yahoo!, but I do not work on the Messenger
> team. I am interested in working on an MPOP project for Pidgin purely as
> a personal project from a user perspective and to give back to the
> open-source community; my words, ideas, and views are my own, and do not
> represent that of my company.

You may wish to reconsider trying to contribute if you're a Yahoo employee.
Past experience says that Yahoo employees may not contribute Yahoo-related code
to Pidgin, Finch, or libpurple.

John