Getting Stuff Done (Re: One critical security flaw...)

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Feb 2 00:23:02 EST 2010

On 02/01/2010 12:19 PM, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> While this isn't a volunteer to do the integration ... I kind of
> disagree.  The X-Status patch has been floating around for literally
> years, and I'd like to see it merged.  We're not sending a very
> promising message to contributors when we put patches off for so long,
> and I think this is what John is trying to address.

Exactly.  The patch was initially posted on #4508 on 2007-12-28.  That has been
a full 25 months ago and counting.  This sends a *horrible* message to our
contributors, that we'll never look at patches.  We need to get major
contributions like this handled much more quickly than they have been.

>> This is probably a good time to toy with the idea of decoupling the major
>> version numbers of libpurple and the UIs (pidgin, finch). I personally
>> think this is a good idea, but I don't know how much effort would be
>> needed for this, and if it would be worth the benefits.
>
> I don't think this is a bad idea.  Libpurple is now used by enough
> people to merit decoupling it from Pidgin, I think.  We'll have to
> think about how to handle releases and version compatibilities,
> though.

I've advocated this idea for a while, as well as having libgnt, finch, pidgin,
and libpurple all be separate tarballs.  There are, of course, many bits of
logistics to hammer out so we don't end up creating more work for ourselves than
we can handle.

John