Getting Stuff Done (Re: One critical security flaw...)

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Feb 2 00:26:44 EST 2010

On 02/01/2010 12:10 PM, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
> I would suggest to make it a 'feature freeze', rather than an
> 'API freeze'. I would welcome API changes to make 2.x branch cleaner
> while the main development continues to happen towards 3.x

If we don't API freeze, then we're never going to get anything done on
im.pidgin.pidgin, because everyone will be actively developing against a branch
that's *supposed* to be for maintenance.  They'll do this because it's the path
of least resistance--it'll be easier to just keep adding crap onto 2.x.y instead
of helping make 3.0.0 a reality.  We had this *exact* same thing happen back
when we were still using CVS.  Almost all of the 1.x.y line was the result of
this "path of least resistance" approach.

John