Summer of code 2010 ideas

ashish shubham ashubham at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 13:52:14 EST 2010

Hi,

I wish to apply for summer of code 2010. I wanted some advice regarding
probable project ideas.

1. I have 2 Gtalk accounts, I use pidgin as my primary chat client on linux
as well as windows, but most of my friends use official Gtalk clients on
windows, so the problem is I cannot transfer files to them using the pidgin
client, neither cant they send me files. Same is the case with voice calls,
neither cant i make them nor cant they.

I was wondering if a proper file transfer and voice functionality
implementation for Gtalk in pidgin using the xmpp library, would make a good
summer project.

2. Given we have a proper file transfer interface working with pidgin for
Gtalk, I was thinking of a small file share of each user, like he could
share a folder to his gtalk buddies. Also neone can right click and browse
their buddies' file lists, information regarding files can be transmitted as
chat messages which the client will understand.

users can copy files from their buddies' shared files using the built in
file transfer facility. they can listen to the music shared by their friends
using the built in voice facility.

the browser can be like a reduced nautilus window.

Kindly provide your valuable feedback on the above mentioned ideas, moreover
please give your suggestions regarding what can make a good summer project
with pidgin.

Thanks
Ashish Shubham